Five Guiding Principles for Utility Rate Increases
Transparency and Responsibility
● We will not transfer enterprise (utility) funds to balance the general fund budget. Our budget is not balanced if we’re relying on one fund to subsidize another.
● For the same reason, this is not a substitute for a tax increase.
● We will make responsible cuts before asking residents to pay more for utilities or other essential city services.
● We are prepared to make hard decisions if those decisions are right.
● The process we follow will be open and transparent. We will go above and beyond what is legally required and give residents several ways to ask questions and give input.0