Livability has ranked downtown Provo as the 4th best downtown in the entire country! Provo’s ranking was based off of data including improvement in retail and office vacancy rates, population gains, income growth, unemployment, the ratio of people who live and work downtown, and the overall livability of the city.
Livability also gave considerable weight to population growth and the ratio of residents to jobs in a downtown area because urban center experts suggest these are the most telling signs of how a downtown is doing.
But numbers alone can’t tell you what makes a downtown great. For that you need to see the skylines, hear the street sounds and talk to people who’ve been there. We took a look, talked with our well-traveled staff and made our picks. – Livability.com
Livability’s description of Provo’s downtown:
- Downtown Provo blends the old with the new to maintain the character that draws thousands of residents and visitors each year while offering modern services and high-level entertainment.
- The Provo Downtown Historic District has a collection of buildings constructed between 1880 and 1930, with more than 40 listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- More than 50 independently owned restaurants, bakeries and bars attract residents from across the city.
- Local farmers sell produce, meat and cheeses at the Provo Farmers Market, held each Saturday from June to October at Pioneer Park.
- The park also includes a new splash pad, helping families cool off on hot summer days.
- After watching musical performances, plays and comedy acts at the Covey Center for the Arts, many patrons head to West Center Street for drinks and dancing.
Drinks and dancing? I better look into that. Check out the rest of Provo’s ranking here »