Arsonist – Fire Starter in Provo

10176264_516132901830970_377037004600129859_n 10011523_516133338497593_4822899580559551338_n 10307240_516133088497618_4298312516475206266_n

It’s not often that I post on my blog asking for your help as a resident. This is an important enough issue that I need your support.

We believe that we have an arsonist in Provo that has been taking part in very destructive behaviors. This is very serious.

I need your help. I need the eyes and ears of our 115,000 residents to assist in our boots-on-the-ground operation. If you see suspicious activities happening in your neighborhood – call 911. This is particularly important in areas that have existing structures that are dilapidated, vacant and in need of significant repair or demolition.

As a city, we’ve engaged our neighborhood chairs, property owners, and are marshaling other resources. We’re adding bodies to our dispatch and staffing up on officers to patrol the city and be on alert.

Again, if you see anything suspicious – call 911. If you have non-emergency tips you’d like to share, call 801.852.7400. Any witnesses with information are asked to contact the Fire Marshal’s office at: 801-852-6321.

Read more here: http://j.mp/1k4LEYS

Most of the activities are happening in the early morning hours between 1:00-5:00 am.

There is a reward of $5,000 for a tip that leads to an arrest of conviction.

On Twitter use #ProvoFires.

10 Comments:

1. Tottie

I live beside the car dealership where the car was set on fire, my husband actually saw it soon after it started and called it in. He may have seen a suspect sitting in a vehicle nearby and has talked to the police about it. My neighbor has security cameras around his yard, I’ll have to ask him if they caught anything. This is really scary. Hopefully they catch this guy before someone gets hurt.

2. Anne Chambers

Thank you, Mayor Curtis. What a great way to get the word out. We have thought that also.

3. Carrie

I think there is a strong possibility that the arson is related to all the gang graffiti in the same neighborhood. I have called the Provo tip line to report the graffiti’s locations and was told it would be taken care of. 3 weeks later and its still there. Some of my friends reported some as long ago as December, and its still there.
    Having the graffiti gone would be a step in the right direction. How can we make that happen?

4. Robin

Could be a scary arsonist, could be stupid kids. Construction equipment was torched near my place a few years back (stupid teens). Two of us even saw enough to file a report, but to my knowledge they never got caught. *shrug* Good luck.

5. Marilyn Morgan

I live next to an abandoned house. One of the buildings was about a block from here. I called the fire marshal to express my concerns, and he never bothered to return my call. That place goes, my place will go also. Way to go Provo. I’m not impressed by the concern that this shows for the public welfare.

• Lisa

Additional dispatch, more officers patrolling the areas, neighborhood chairs, a $5,000. reward, and a plea to the citizens of Provo to be on the watch … It sounds like a lot of concern to me.

6. Carol Johnson

What is the status of the “stairs” at Lion’s Park? Are they going to be rebuilt after being destroyed by the flood water?

• John

Stay tuned!

-John

• John

Hi Carol,

Parks intend to recreate another access in an improved location that will provide a safer and less steep solution. We are awaiting funding and look forward to completing this project.