Provo’s Yard Waste Season has started and will run from March 2 through November 27, 2015. Your green yard waste cans will be emptied the same day as your regular garbage pickup. Please have your cans on the side of the road by 6:00 am.
Make sure that you are only putting yard waste in your green cans. We are unable to pick up green cans with unacceptable materials in them.
- No rocks, dirt, sod, paper, building materials, stumps, roots or animal waste
- The lid should be able to close – brush/limbs no longer than 3’ or hanging over can
- Yard Waste: grass clippings, leaves, weeds, tree branches (cut tree branches so they can fit in container)
- Food Waste: fruit, vegetables, bread, coffee grounds, egg shells, pasta/rice
- Other Waste: clean wood & wood chips, compostable paper bags
Not Acceptable Materials
- Meat or any other fatty food scraps
- Garbage, pet feces, plastics
- Sod, dirt, bricks or cement
- Wood products that have been treated with any kind of chemical e.g. varnished wood is not accepted
YARD WASTE RECYCLING
Recycling of green yard waste is an efficient and easy way to help conserve landfill space, maintain a clean and healthy living environment for you and your family, and helps maintains moisture and nutrients in the soil. Every year over 32 million pounds of yard waste ends up in landfills in the U.S. That’s more than half a pound per person per day.
Yard waste recycling is a great way to keep heavy grass clippings, weeds, and yard trimmings out of the landfill and saves the city from having to pay more in tipping fees at the transfer station. Learn more about the benefits of yard waste recycling.
Yard waste recycling is considered a recycling option when it comes to recycling rates in your utility bill. Participating in yard waste recycling is just three touches away on your phone. Dial 3-1-1 for more information.
If you need to drop off large loads of yard waste or buy compost, the SUVSWD compost station is located at 1625 S Industrial Pkwy, here in Provo.