Happy Birthday Provo!
One hundred and sixty-six years ago this week at a muddy outpost south of the Provo River and upstream from Utah Lake, the first seeds of Provo City were planted. From that small outpost christened “Fort Utah” grew a city with upward momentum and unrelenting success. Started by those early settlers—the Timpamogots tribe, the Catholic Priests, Etienne Provost and the Mormon colonists—was the beginning of a community enlightened by learning, powered by culture and surrounded by undying beauty. We have them to thank for a city that now stands on top of national charts and exceeds citizen expectations.
We think it’s time to start celebrating the beginnings of Provo in a big way. We think it’s time to take a week out of our year to applaud our community efforts and accomplishments. We think it’s a great week for Provoans to thank Provoans for making this city liveable and loveable and so often enjoyable.
What do you think?
Here are 5 ways I hope you’ll celebrate Provo’s birthday week with us, March 30-April 3. Pick one or two or all five of them. (Provoans are known to go the distance!)
- Balloon Blitz — We want to decorate Provo for its birthday and we want your help. We want to fly as many yellow balloons around town as possible throughout the entire week. We are kicking off the blitz by placing 166 balloons along Center Street in honor of the 166th anniversary of Provo’s founding. You can join in by placing yellow balloons on your homes, in your neighborhoods, and on businesses or establishments that mean something to you. Consider placing balloons at your children’s schools or favorite spots around the town. Do you have a favorite park, or landmark, or trailhead? Think about leaving a balloon there to pay tribute to “your Provo”. Need some balloons? You can pick up yellow balloons at the City Center Lobby (351 W Center Street) during business hours (one per person).
- Throw a Birthday Party — Get together with friends, colleagues, family or neighbors and throw a birthday party for our city. Try Pin the Y on the Mountain. Eat funeral potatoes. Play The Provo Celebrity Name Game (Jimmer! Donny! Mayor Curtis!). Serve BYU Creamery Ice Cream. Have a dance party spinning only local music. Test your trivia about Provo using facts from the Provo Library’s History of Provo City Timeline. Want to invite me? I will personally show up to any Provo birthday party. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org so I can visit your bash in style.
- #happybirthdayprovo — Are you on social media? Please take time next week to post one thing you appreciate about Provo (the mountains, the parks, the ample number of babies) and tag it with #happybirthdayprovo. I’ll be retweeting, liking and sharing your posts all week long, so please be generous. Don’t know what a hashtag is? Skip number 3.
- Provo Founders’ Day Celebration — This yearly celebration will happen on Provo’s Birthday – April 1st at the Provo Pioneer Village in North Park (500 N and 500 West) from 5:00 – 8:00 pm. Never been to the Pioneer Village? It’s time you go. Take the whole family!
- Attend a Community Event — Local businesses, community members, and organizations are celebrating Provo’s birthday by hosting public events. There is practically a party scheduled every day this week! If you would like to attend a party and join in the celebration, check out a list of events on our Facebook Event Page.
*You could win a Prize! I’ll be giving out prizes all week long to those who join in the weeklong birthday celebration. If I see you sharing a picture or message on social media, participating in the balloon blitz or attending a Provo birthday celebration you could win a personal birthday cake! I will randomly pick a few winners each day.
Happy Birthday Provo! From muddy outpost to most livable city in America! We celebrate you!
/////////////////////////////////// Daily Winners!
I’m giving out individual birthday cakes to a few individuals each day this week! Check out the winners below. We will be contacting the winners through email & social media so they can redeem their prize!
Monday’s Winners – Congratulations Thomas McGraw and Christina Wilson!
Tuesday’s Winners – Congratulations Krystyna Winn & Nadine Sundblom!
Wednesday’s Winners – Congratulations Lisa Clark & Sam Comte!
Thursday’s Winners – Congratulations Sara Joyner & Talisa Vistaunet!
Friday’s Winners – Congratulations Christopher Bennett & Cindy Butcher!0