May is National Bike Month. If you’ve been looking for a good reason to park your car and take your bike instead – this is it! Sunday, May 1, 2016 through Tuesday, May 31, 2016 is the second annual Provo Bike Challenge. Whether you are a current bicyclist or a new rider this event is for you!
Make every day count
When days are long – ride for fun, to work, any time you can! This event is an easy way to challenge yourself, colleagues, and the Provo community to ride more. Participants are asked to record their daily/weekly miles ridden on nationalbikechallenge.org and points will be awarded throughout the challenge. They are awarded in the following two ways:
- 20 points are awarded for each day you ride at least 1 mile
- 1 point is awarded each mile ridden
Miles must be logged to the day they were ridden and rides can be logged at anytime over the month but must be logged or synced by 11:59 pm on Tuesday, May 31, 2016.
You can also use any of these affiliated apps to track your miles using your smart phone: Strava, Map My Ride, Moves, or Endomondo. You can authorize any of these apps by simply editing your account on the National Bike Challenge site.
Prizes and Awards
All participants who live, work, or go to school in Provo are eligible for prizes and awards. Prize winners will be randomly selected each week and award winners will be announced at the end of the Challenge. Those who finish at the top of their category will be selected at the end of the Challenge in 3 different categories:
- Work Site/ Organization (a min of 5 people)
- Individual – Female
- Individual – Male
Award winners will be honored on Tuesday, July 5 during Provo City’s Council Meeting and will receive a Provo Bike Challenge 2016 trophy.
Join the Challenge
- Join the challenge now and create an account on nationalbikechallenge.org!
- While registering make sure to “search for your workplace”. As you type in Provo City a dropdown menu will appear and you will be able to select PROVO CITY. (You will not be included in Provo’s Bike Challenge if you skip this step.)
- After you select Provo City as your workplace you can then choose your worksite. If you are participating as an individual select INDIVIDUAL. If your organization is participating select your business name. (If you are an organization and you would like to have your work site registered email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the name of your business, address, and number of employees.)
- Once you have completed registration you will receive an email to activate your account. After you have verified your account you can login in and start tracking your miles! Please note that this website is a beta site so there will be some rough edges.
- Check out the video below for a tutorial on how to create a login, manage your settings, edit your workplace & worksite, create your own team, and view your rankings on the leaderboard!
Creating an account on the National Bike Challenge also makes you eligible for National prizes and awards. Feel free to keep logging your riding hours after the month of May to continue to participate and compete in the “National Bike Challenge”. For more information about the National Challenge click here.1