This Saturday, April 29 is the Provo City School District’s Running Strong Youth Powwow. This is a FREE family event at Provo High School Gym from 1:00 – 4:00 pm. It is NOT a set program so you can come and go as your please. This is the school district’s first community cultural outreach activity and will be very educational in regards to learning about American Indian/Alaskan Native cultures.
Aside from the actual Powwow, there will be:
- Utah colleges there to talk to students and hand out free swag
- Educational booths to learn more about the Native American Culture
- Cub and Boy Scouts can pass off American Indian Lore requirements just by attending
- Navajo Tacos will be for sell starting at 12:00 p.m., as well as Navajo herbal tea (caffeine free)
- KUED is handing out free books to all the kids, so make sure you stop by and see them!
- We also have lesson plans and educational DVD’s for teachers
- There will be opportunities for everyone to win prizes. We have gift cards, books, movies, socks, American Indian jewelry and more to give away!
Plus…we have some cool guest coming that we are really excited about!
- Billy Mills, Olympic Gold Medalist and only person in the Northern Hemisphere to ever win the 10,000 Meter Run (https://youtu.be/DfLLNksZmoY)
- Gary Farmer, prominent Native American Actor