Thinking of filing for office? We have four municipal seats open for the November 7 election, which include:
- Mayor – 4 year term
- City Council District 2 – 4 year term
- City Council District 5 – 4 year term
- City Council City Wide I – 4 year term
View a map of the City Council Municipal Districts with precinct boundaries here.
If more than two candidates file for an office, a primary election will be held on Tuesday, August 15, 2017.
A candidate shall file a Declaration of Candidacy in person with the City Recorder between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., June 1 through June 7, 2017 (excluding Saturday and Sunday). A fee of $75 for a council position or $150 for the office of mayor will be required at time of filing.
In lieu of paying the filing fee, individuals filing as candidates for the Municipal Council or for Mayor may submit a petition in support of candidacy. Such a petition must be filed with the City Recorder at the time the individual files for candidacy. The petition must state that the signatories support the candidacy of the individual and must contain the following number of individual handwritten signatures:
- For each person seeking to become a candidate for Council member the petition must be signed by two hundred fifty (250) individuals; and
- For each person seeking to become a candidate for Mayor the petition must be signed by five hundred (500) individuals.
Any resident of a municipality may nominate a candidate for a municipal office by filing a nomination petition (with 25 signatures) and paying the filing fee with the City Recorder during office hours between June 1 and June 7, 2017.
For candidate qualifications and more information visit voteprovo.com or contact the Provo City Recorder’s Office at 801-852-6524.