The Utah Lake Commission hosts an annual photo contest every summer. This contest promotes the beauty of Utah Lake, the fun recreational activities available there, and the amazing photos and videos taken by local photographers! This year the contest is sponsored by Allen’s Camera, Bonneville School of Sailing, Good life Rental, Lindon Marina, and Utah Paddle Boards. They have already started accepting submissions but you still have until 11:59 pm on September 15, 2017 to get your photos in!
Only photos taken within the 2017 calendar year will be accepted. Contestants may submit one photo in each of the following categories:
- Utah Lake Scenery: photos of the lake in all seasons, ice, sunsets, reflections, etc.
- Utah Lake Fun: images of people enjoying recreational activities at the lake.
- Utah Lake Animal Life: images of animal, insect, or wildlife at Utah Lake.
- Instagram: photos of anything and everything at Utah Lake.
- Video: 1 minute video of recreation on Utah Lake.
Complete the following steps (with category-specific instructions below):
- Complete the google entry form for each submission at https://goo.gl/forms/Mw2jnZdXXxAbKobq1. You may submit one photo for each of the five categories.
- Email a digital .jpeg, or video, file of the photo to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm on September 15, 2017. It must be at least 8MP (3264 x 2448). If you prefer, you may deliver your submission to the Utah Lake Commission on a USB flash/thumb drive or CD.
- Your .jpeg, or video, file must be titled by “Category.FirstNameLastName” (i.e. utahlakefun.janedoe)
- INSTAGRAM and VIDEO ONLY: in addition to an email submission, the photograph must be posted to your Instagram account with both of these hashtags: #utahlakephotos and #utahlakeapc.
- VIDEO ONLY: video submissions must be 30-60 seconds. Please make sure your video resolution is a minimum of 720 x 1280.
Photos will be judged according to the following criteria:
- 40% Quality (focus, lighting, depth of view)
- 40% Composition (creativity, arrangement)
- 20% Originality (think beyond just a sunset at the lake)
*Instagram and Video judging will be done according to the following categories:
- 1st place – Most likes (only likes on Instagram will count)
- 2nd place – Utah Lake Commission Office Favorite (selected by staff of Utah Lake Commission)
- 3rd place – Random selection INSTAGRAM CATEGORY ONLY (a random generator will select this winner)
- 3rd place – Most Instagram Views VIDEO CATEGORY ONLY
Winners of the photography contest will be notified by email and featured on Utah Lake Commission social media There will also be a photo show at the Utah Lake Photo club meeting on October 27th to showcase the winners. First prize winners will be provided with contact information for their prize and will need to reach out to sponsors to claim it. Prizes will include:
|Category||1st place prize|
|Utah Lake Wildlife||Sunset Cruise form Bonneville Sailing|
|Utah Lake Scenery||$250 Gift Card from Allen’s Camera|
|Utah Lake Fun||Half-day Ski boat rental from Utah Paddle Boards|
|Water sport rental package for 5 people from Lindon Marina|
|Video||JetSki rentals for 2 people from Good Life Rentals|