Provo has been ranked #1 in the nation for Most Compassionate City! Realtor.com ranked the 250 largest cities using the following criteria:
- Percentage of income donated
- Volunteer rate
- Percentage of people working in social services, such as special ed teachers, therapists, nurses, etc.
- Percentage of people working for nonprofit organizations
- Public charities per capita
- Animal shelters per capita
Residents of Provo donate an impressive 6.4% of their income to charities, according to tax return data from the IRS. It’s the highest rate in the U.S. Provo residents aren’t stingy with their time, either. Volunteers can be found helping victims of child abuse at the Children’s Justice Center and serving meals for the needy at the Food and Care Coalition.
To read the full list of compassionate city rankings and the details of each, click here.